In 2008, the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans (PAG) were created, which emphasizes the goal to “improve health, fitness and quality of life through daily physical activity.” This is a team effort by the Center of Disease Control (CDC) and the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition.
Physical activity covers an array of activities, everything from moderate and vigorous physical activity and muscle strengthening activities. More than 80% of adolescents and adults do not meet the exercise guidelines. It is hoped with these updated objectives, that the information will be disseminated through all public agencies–schools, communities, organizations and businesses.
The Physical Activity Objectives:
- Monitor physician counseling about exercise
- Provide structural environments, such as the availability of sidewalks, bike lanes, trails, and parks
- Legislative policies that improve access to facilities that support physical activity
- Physical activity in childcare settings
- Limit TV viewing and electronic usage
- Recess and physical education in public and private schools
It may sound menial to list the benefits of physical activity, but why aren’t more people engaging in physical activity if the benefits outweigh the cost? What’s stopping you?
The Healthy People Objectives of 2020 want to provide all the accessibility, ability and confidence to engage in physical activity regularly. For the future, they recognize the multidisciplinary approach that is required to meet their goals. Collaboration with education and health care, transportation, urban planning, recreation and environmental health are essential for the future.
- Prevent early chronic diseases
- Prevent depression
- Decreases level of body fat
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Improves bone health
- Decreases stress levels
- Improves cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness
- Associated with a higher income
- Enjoyable scenery
- Social support from family and friends
- Belief in one’s self–self efficacy
Still not convinced? Check out California’s Dairy Council’s interactive assessment on recommended caloric intake, a calcium quiz, food personality quiz and/or tips geared towards your age group
If all of this steps will take , within 2020 we will get best healthy nation.