By: Nikki Nies
You don’t have to wait until you have your next bowl of chili to enjoy beans. In fact, this undervalued protein, fiber rich food can and should be used on a regular basis.
Benefits of increased consumption of beans:
- Can stave off hunger with the fiber rich content
- By swapping out meat for beans, can decrease consumption of saturated fat
- Strengthens one’s body
- Prevents diseases
- Heart healer
- Lowers the risk of type II diabetes: help stabilize blood sugar
- International Journal of Cancer states women who eat lentils have a decreased risk of developing breast cancer; can decrease prostate and/or colorectal cancer
- Kidney beans are antioxidant, thiamine and omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acid rich; may stave off Alzheimer’s disease
- Can boost the brain
- Versatile use–add to burritos, tacos,soups, salads and/or on their own
It’s not fair to clump all types of beans together as each type provide different benefits and have varying properties. However, it’s clear that beans should have a place in your daily eating habits. If you’re interested in incorporating more beans in to your daily meals, a quick look in your local grocery store can give you an idea of the many varieties offered. Start eating!