By: Nikki Nies
The Super Bowl is the perfect venue to pull out your vegetable platters and water infused drinks, right? If you’re reading that last statement, thinking I’ve lost my mind. That’s just me wishfully thinking what the Super Bowl would represent. The great foods that accompany the Super Bowl are an equally expected part of the game.
When you’re in the kitchen heating up the chicken wings or dishing out the salsa for the chips, why not take this time to experiment with new flavors as well? Adding a healthier spin on guilty pleasure dishes doesn’t have to become an added burden.
The tip with the following recipe is that some of the beloved fried foods have had alterations in their recipes, baking the food, instead of submerging the food in oil. If you’re not a fan of the specific following recipes, perhaps, it’ll give you some inspiration to try a new, healthier recipe too.
- Lemon Drop Chicken Wings: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-drop-chicken-wings-10000001694242/
- Spinach Artichoke Dip: http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001121119,00.html
- Zucchini Fries: http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001831902,00.html
- Mini Turkey Burgers: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mini-turkey-burgers-with-gorgonzola-10000001545755/
- Baked Smoky Chicken Fingers: http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001097977,00.html
- Sweet Roasted Cherry Tomato Salsa: http://www.brooklynsupper.net/2012/08/sweet-roast-cherry-tomato-salsa/#.UuEON2Qo4y4
- Jalepeno Cheddar Crackers: http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-jalapeno-cheddar-crackers/
- Buffalo Baked Blooming Onion: http://www.tasteloveandnourish.com/2013/02/02/buffalo-baked-blooming-onion/
- Caprese Salad Skewers: http://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2012/12/mini-caprese-salad-skewers.html#.UN0NxYnjlnc
- Roasted Mushroom Crostini: http://littleferrarokitchen.com/2013/12/roasted-mushroom-crostini-wine-herbs-giveaway/
The average Super Bowl fan eats a day’s worth of calories during the game. Don’t become a statistic, be original. So, while you’re grabbing snacks at the supermarket this weekend to stock up for the big game on Sunday, while the bag of chips may be hard to wrestle out of your kids hands, why not try some new [healthier] dishes as well?