By: Nikki Nies
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, don’t let this celebratory holiday of love squash have you struggling to decide between which decadent treat to try.
- Opt for a song or a poem that reminds you of your loved one–more permanent sign of affection
- Bundle up and take advantage of the winter activities available–sledding, ice skating and/or skiing
- Packing your kids raisins, pretzels, stickers or pencils instead of candies in their lunch
- Can’t beat a home made meal–can choose healthier spices, use less salt and cook with desired healthy method over frying (i.e. grilling, sauteeing, stir frying, roasting and/or steaming)
- Send or make your own fruit basket, which is filled with natural sugars and still very tasty!
- If you decide to go out for dinner: share an entree, not only is more romantic, but more likely one will stick to the desired portions
- Select fish–as a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, eating salmon, mackeral or tuna can be heart healthy!
- Go for a after dinner stroll, not only is it relaxing, but is a romantic, free activity
- Be adventurous and try a new fruit or vegetable
Show your loved one you love them with a dash of healthiness as well! If you’re whipping up a meal at home, check out the web for some delicious, easy Valentine’s day dinners. Happy early Valentine’s Day!
Photo Credit: Flickr