By: Nikki Nies
There’s a famous saying that one’s college years are the best of a person’s life. While that may be true, there are many aspects of the college experience that must be present for the “best” to be presented. For many, heading off to college is the first taste of independence. With the bombardment of offers, temptations and often times free food, it’s no wonder students get a headache with so many dining options. Many options that aren’t always the wisest in regards to health, I might add.
However, it doesn’t have to be like that. You can have you cake and eat it too at college at times. With Foodie on Campus(FOC): Your Inside Guide is dedicated to providing resources, recipes and latest news to campus students, it doesn’t have to be like that. The founder and Editor in Chief, Faye Mitchell RD, LDN recognizes that food is an integral part of the college experience. Instead of implementing restricting rules about eating habits, Mitchell’s team of interns provide an awareness of how to be a successful “foodie” on campus!
- “Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.” —Ruth Reichl
- Keep it positive
- Food is meant to be enjoyed
- Diet is a four letter word
- There are no “good” foods or “bad” foods
- Everything in moderation
- Nutrition is science based, not opinion oriented
- There are no quick fixes or miracle foods
- Weight is just a number
- No fat shaming, no skinny promoting
- Eat for Pleasure – Move for Fun!
- “The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.” ―Julia Child
Nutrition is about understanding that health doesn’t mean one has to trade flavor for health. There are so many practical, easy swaps that can be made. There’s no better time to make healthier changes than as a college student!