While obesity is a preventable disease, we’re currently on the losing end of the war. It’s not only an American, first world problem. As a global epidemic, Jamie Oliver has once again, thankfully, taken it upon himself to lead a Food Revolution! While we’re by no means deprived of food, with so many options, more children than ever are malnourished due to the number of empty calories they consume on a regular basis.
Jamie Oliver explains the premise behind said Revolution!
“Since I’ve been working in America, I’ve been overwhelmed by the number of people who have come out to support the Food Revolution. More than 630,000 people have signed the petition, over 300,000 of you subscribe to our newsletter and thousands of you have written to me. The only message I keep hearing is that you believe your kids need better food, and that you want help to keep cooking skills alive. That’s why this Food Revolution matters.” -Jamie Oliver
It’s great to hear others acknowledge and understand the issue at large. The Food Revolution is a great platform to help inspire all to get back into the kitchen to cook real food from scratch and get away from the pre packaged, processed products that are ubiquitously calling our names! This movement has already made great strides toward health awareness and changing how we eat. Still not convinced change is needed?
Global obesity alarming #s:
- More than 43 million children under 5 years old are overweight or obese
- More than 1.5 billion adults are overweight or obese
- With obesity, one’s life can be cut by 10 years
- In the U.S., obesity costs $10,273,973/hr!
- Cook more with the availability of community kitchens (i.e. church halls, healthcare centers and/or schools) that will help you learn the basics of home kitchen! By getting in the kitchen you can control portion sizes, ensure the use of fresh ingredients and it’s a great way to get the family together!
- An activist program is supporting parents that want to ensure better quality of food for their children. There is a community website that encourages grass roots change nationwide in the U.S.
- With the Food Revolution truck, this mobile food classroom offers cooking classes
- Inspiring parents, caregivers, teachers and students to cook fresh meals and snacks on campus and throughout school district
- Within corporations, promoting a culture change: helping healthcare sectors to recognize the “investments” needed for better health in the future. Also, providing employees the opportunity to learn essential cooking skills and fresher foods at canteens
What are you waiting for?!? There’s so many ways you can contribute to this revolution and be part of the change! Sign the global petition today! Learn more about this Revolution and how you can get involved today!