By: Nikki Nies
I recently started a new goal, I can only watch TV if I exercise. I’ve found myself able to adhere to such a regime, cause I feel so good afterwards! However, even after a great workout, one needs to reenergize. Here are some great tips on how to stave off hunger after a great workout without impeding on the work just completed!
One of the best kept secrets is combining soy with dairy. For some, they’re hesitant to incorporate soy into daily meals, however, but the health benefits should at least encourage everyone to try it at least once! A research study showed that after consuming a whey, soy and casein protein shake, compared to the non soy consumers, those that drank the updated protein shake felt “fuller” longer. With the whey, casein and soy combination, these super proteins contribute different amino acids and are digested at different rates, so one reaps longer benefits.
The best time to eat protein, is within one hour of a workout. By combining at least 20 grams of protein, a combination of dairy and protein, that will allow optimal protein synthesis.
Benefits of consuming soy:
- Contains potassium–>which can help maintain blood pressure
- Can be considered protein and vegetable
- Forms: tempeh, tofu, bean burgers, veggie burgers and/or texturized vegetable protein, edamame, soymilk
- May reduce risk for development of diseases, such as osteoporosis, colon cancer, and/or prostate cancer
- Good source of fiber, protein, omega 3 fatty acids and B vitamins
- A complete protein–great alternative to dairy and meat
- Improves lipid profile
- Promotes weight loss
- Strengthens blood vessel integrity
Great ways to incorporate soy into your post workout meals:
- Soy smoothie–replace regular milk in recipes for soy milk
- String cheese and edamame
- Toasted soy nuts